Kumiko Kitaoka is an associate at Brundidge & Stanger, P.C. Ms. Kitaoka’s practice is focused on the preparation and prosecution of mechanical patents and biomedical patents. She has advised major biomedical companies on technology transfer as well as M&A matters. Her current and former clients include medical device companies, blockchain companies, and molecular biology companies.
Prior to joining Brundidge & Stanger, P.C., Ms. Kitaoka has served as associate judge in civil, administrative, and criminal divisions of Osaka District Court and Maebashi District Court in Japan. She later joined international law firms including Tanaka, Akita, Nakagawa, which later became Clifford Chance Tokyo, and has worked on litigation, IP, and corporate matters.
Ms. Kitaoka is fluent in Japanese, and conversational in French.
- State of New York
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (Limited Recognition)
- License to practice law in Japan (inactive)
- License to practice medicine in Japan (active)
- The University of Tokyo (B.S., 1998)
- The University of Tokyo (M.D., 2006)
- Tokyo Medical University (Ph.D. in radiology, 2015)
- The George Washington University (LL.M., 2014)
- The George Washington University (J.D. expected in 2020).
Memberships and Engagement:
- Secretary General of IACT (International Arbitration Center in Tokyo)
- Senior Researcher of the University of Tokyo (expected in July 2019)
- Adjunct Associate Professor at Tokyo Medical University